Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Hinckley Challenge

Recently our beloved Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. Shortly there after someone organized The Hinckley Challenge as a way to honor his memory and his love for the Book of Mormon. The idea of the challenge was to read the Book of Mormon in 97 days since he was 97 years old when he moved on to rejoin his sweet wife. I am proud to say that I was able to complete this challenge in much less than 97 days. I am grateful to those who thought this up because it was just what I needed to get myself moving and back into regular scripture study.

I love the Book of Mormon. I love the ancient prophets who recorded the events and teachings of their times so that in our time we could learn from their experiences and received clear teachings of Jesus Christ. I know this is a divinely inspried book that was written with our day in mind. I love Nephi, the prophet who began the record and his faithful belief that if the Lord commanded him to do something then he could accomplish it with the Lord's help. I love Moroni who, as the last prophet to write on the plates, was sad and lonely but still he delighted in the gospel. He cared about us and wanted to share with us all the important things he had learned. I love all those who kept the records between these faithful men - yes, even those who were wicked and only wrote a few short verses. They knew this was important so even though they were not living righteous lives they still followed the commandment to keep the record.

The thing I love most about the Book of Mormon is the way I feel when I read it. I am able to focus on my testimony and the things I need to be doing. I love that it constantly testifies of the divinity and purpose of Jesus Christ. I love that it teaches me the things that Jesus Christ taught and wants all of us to know.

Now that I have finished reading this book I decided to keep on going and have started reading the Doctrine and Covenants again. Another must read for anyone who is trying to follow in the example of Jesus. I enjoy spending time every day with my scriptures because of the way I feel during the rest of the day. No matter if I read one verse or several pages I always feel closer to Heavenly Father and my day goes better.

2 comments:

daintybess said...

Dear Merry,

You are so cool--Dave and I are reading your blog and I really like your comments on the HInckleyt challenge. I didn't realize the 97 day thing--I thought it was just till the end of the year--nice to know. Dave says that's a really good family picture

Sue Richter

Merry & Gary said...

Thanks for checking out the blog. It is fun. I hope people are reading it but if not I guess it will be here in cyberworld forever in hopes that someone will stumble onto it and read some of these books.