Author: Anne McCaffrey
Rating: 3 Book Worms
My Opinion:
Anne McCaffrey writes fanciful science fiction that is engaging and fun to read. She is facinated with distance travel utilizing diffrent methods of transport or jumps through space, time and "between." I enjoy her books and always think when I finish one that I should read more of her books.
The White Dragon is the third in her Dragonriders of Pern series. I have not read the first books but I don't think reading the books in order is essential. Each of her stories stand alone. This is the story of a small white dragon and a young lord who prove their lack of size and experience cannot prevent them from achieving greatness. Jaxom is a young orphaned Lord of one of the oldest and most respeted dragon holds in all of Pern. As such he was destined to be a leader and provider. When he accidentially impressed the highly unique white dragon know as Ruth at the hatching everyone was somewhat taken aback. It was not right that a leader with his rank be a trained dragon rider. Jaxom and Ruth make a unique and unbeatable pair as they team together to prove their worth. We travel through time and space with this unconventional pair of heros who manage to avert a dreadful dragon war that would have torn Pern apart. They help discover the ancient settlement of the first settelers on Pern and discovered the secrets of the past and look to the future with zeal.
This was a delightful easy read. I love a book that I can read for pure fun. Anne McCaffrey has a way of developing worlds that are unique in their natural settings yet are somehow tied to mother Earth. I recommend this to any true SciFi fan.
Buy it or Borrow it? While I enjoy reading this book and I want to find the other books in the dragonrider series, I will likely borrow them from the library unless I can buy them at Deseret Industried or Good Will. I'm cheap - What can I say?
Other Books I have read by this author:
Crystal Singer 3.0 Book Worms
The Ship Who Sang 3.0 Book Worms
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment